Friday, June 25, 2010

For the Love of Baseball

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a huge baseball fan. I have followed and been a fan of the San Diego Padres since 1969, when I attended my first professional baseball game the first year the Padres entered the league. I suffered through many bad seasons, thoroughly enjoyed the 1984 season and whupping up on the Cubs and continue to root every day for my Padres. The strike of '94-'95 kinda' soured me but I came back because I think baseball is the truest sport in America. If you understand baseball, you'll understand life.
So it is with great distress that I find myself making the following commitment. I recently read that there is a movement to have the 2011 All-Star game moved from Arizona unless they repeal the recently passed immigration legislation.

In the wake of Arizona's new anti-immigration law, calls for repeal are coming from an unusual source: Major League Baseball players. Players are demanding the 2011 All-Star Game be moved from Phoenix, AZ unless the new law is repealed. (From moveon.org).

First of all, I don't believe for a minute that a majority of baseball players are calling for a repeal. There may be a few, but I'd bet money the majority of them either don't really care or they support the new law. Either way, I'm making the following commitment: If MLB and Commissioner Selig decide to move the game because of the law, I will:

a) No longer attend a major league game as long as Selig is commissioner,
b) Not purchase any official MLB merchandise as long as Selig is commissioner, or
c) Not access MLB.com or any website officially associated with MLB.com as long as Selig is commissioner.

I know my little personal boycott will have exactly zero effect on the game of baseball. But at least I'll be able to say I made a personal sacrifice to support something I really believe in. So Mr. Selig, it's up to you. You can let the game be played as scheduled or you can bow to the left-wing, whacked out liberals and move it. I suggest you man up and let them play in Arizona.

No comments: