Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pop Music and Paul

I've tapped my foot to many a Beatles and Paul McCartney song. Being a fan of pop music, they were the kings for many years. But I'll also be the first to admit, I've always liked the playfulness, sillyness and sometime ridiculousness of top-40 pop music. Remember 'Season in the Sun', 'Billy, Don't be a Hero' and 'Spiders and Snakes'? I love them all. And Paul McCartney's music fit right into that mode, as shallow as a California puddle in June. But his success got him a gig at the White House where he crooned to Michelle Obama. All was well until his comment, "After the last eight years, it's good to have a president that knows what a library is." He should really stick to just singing.
But then he did receive the 'Library of Congress Gershwin Award.' Boy, if we're going to give him that, we might as well give Obama a Nobel Peace Prize and Al Gore & Sean Penn an Academy Award. Oh wait .......

No comments: